Apodia is defined as the absence of a foot or feet.
It is not a difficult diagnosis to make on ultrasound provided that an adequate view of the limbs is possible.
Amniotic band syndrome
Absence of one or both feet
Amniotic bands should be sought
- Acheiropodia (Brazil type)
- Amniotic bands/ amniotic rupture sequence
- Nishi T, Nakano R Amniotic band syndrome: serial ultrasonographic observations in the first trimester J Clin Ultrasound 22:275-278
- Froster UG, Baird PA Amniotic band sequence and limb defects: data from a population-based study Am J Med Genet 46:497-500
- Burton DJ, Filly RA Sonographic diagnosis of the amniotic band syndrome. (Review) Am J Roentgenol 156:555-558