The scanning technique will vary based on the clinical question.
Scan sagittally across the rib spaces at the highest point on the chest realtive to the patient’s postition.
- Supine – scan anteriorly.
- Erect or semi erect – scan superiorly towards the apices.
- Lateral decubitus – scan laterally (basal).
Pleural fluid or basal consolidation
- Scan the dependant most area in a sagittal or coronal plane.
Generally this is posterolaterally.
Generalised lung condition (oedema, atelectasis etc)
- Follow a systematic protocol of examining both lungs thoroughly.